Paid Time Off (PTO)
– 18 days annually (with fewer than 5 years of service)
– 21 days annually (with 5 – 9 years of service)
– 24 days annually (with 10-14 years of service)
– 27 days annually (with 15-19 years of service)
– 30 days annually (with 20-24 years of service)
– 33 days annually (with 25 or more years of service)
The maximum amount of leave which may be carried over from one leave year (January 1st-December 31st) to the next, and the maximum amount of leave payable upon separation from City service is as follows:
– 288 Hours or 36 Days (with fewer than 5 years of service)
– 336 Hours or 42 Days (with 5 – 9 years of service)
– 384 Hours or 48 Days (with 10-14 years of service)
– 432 Hours or 54 Days (with 15-19 years of service)
– 480 Hours or 60 Days (with 20-24 years of service)
– 528 Hours or 66 Days (with 25 or more years of service)
Family Medical Leave
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 assists eligible employees in the care of newborn or newly adopted children and provides for absences to care for themselves, a child, a parent or a spouse faced with serious health conditions and qualifying exigency leave for families of members of the National Guard and Reserves when covered military member is on active duty or called to active duty in support of a contingency operation. Eligible employees are entitled to up to 12 weeks (or up to 26 weeks of military caregiver) of unpaid leave during any 12 month period for certain purposes, as listed in section 9-8 through 9-5-16 of the city’s personnel manual.
The City observes State designated holidays which are:
New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
George Washington Day
The City offers group health insurance through Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield. The two plans that are offered are Key Advantage Expanded and Key Advantage 500. Both plans have medical, dental and vision coverage.
Full-time Employee Cost (Per month):
Rates effective July 1, 2016
|KA500 with Comprehensive Dental||$23.40||$432.80||$837.40|
|KAExpanded with Comprehensive Dental||$134.40||$638.80||$1,136.40|
|KA500 with Preventive Dental||$12.40||$412.80||$807.40|
|KAExpanded with Preventive Dental||$123.40||$617.80||$1,107.40|
Participation in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). Employees contribute 5% of their salary. Employees are eligible for full retirement benefits, other than disability, at age 65 with 5 years of service, or after attaining 30 years of service as early as age 55. (Early retirement eligibility with reduced benefits begins at age 55 with at least 5 years of service or age 50 with 10 years service.) Police Officers are enrolled in the Law Enforcement Officers System (LEOS) and are eligible for full retirement benefits at age 50 with 25 years of service.
- Life insurance – Twice your annual salary. No cost to employee.
- Short and Long Term Disability Insurance – No cost to employee.
- Credit Union – Payroll deduction is available for savings and loans.
- Deferred Compensation Plan – A plan is offered through the City with the ICMA Retirement Corporation as the Administrator. Under Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code you may defer each year a maximum of 100 percent of your gross compensation or an annual dollar limit, whichever is less. The dollar limit for 2016 remains unchanged at $18,000.
- Employee Assistance Program – No cost to employee.
- Educational Financial Assistance – For courses relating to job (when funding is available).
- Supplemental Insurances
A number of programs (such as social security, worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance) cover all employees in the manner prescribed by law.